The NHCC Code of Conduct
The Northumberland Hills Cycling Club (NHCC) is dedicated to ensuring a safe and positive environment by making individuals aware that there is an expectation of appropriate behaviour consistent with NHCC’s core values. The NHCC supports equal opportunity, prohibits discriminatory practices, and is committed to treating all individuals with respect and fairness. This Code supports the reputation of the Club and assists with making roads and trails a safer place for all users. This policy applies to all of our members and persons acting on behalf of the NHCC.
This code of conduct applies to all NHCC sanctioned rides and posted events, social events, club social media spaces, interactions between club members, and any other situation in which a rider is representing the Club.
Members are expected to:
- Be aware of and adhere to the Highway Traffic Act (HTA), the Club’s guidelines, Bylaws and policies;
- Respect and adhere to the direction of the Ride Leaders;
- Act with honesty and integrity and conduct themselves in the best interest of the NHCC;
- Be a positive example to other riders and a good ambassador for cycling;
- Consider the safety and comfort of other riders, as well as other road or trail;
- Behave responsibly, courteously and safely in the presence of all other road users;
- Treat others respectfully and kindly and always display good sportsmanship;
- Ensure that all interactions with other members are consensual and avoid unwelcome attention;
- Respect boundaries of other riders, be it physical, social, sexual, etc.;
- Notify Club leadership if a member is creating an uncomfortable situation for others;
- Show respect to all people regardless of gender, sexual orientation, colour, race, or creed;
- Select the appropriate NHCC ride level for you and ride within the advertised pace or relinquish this responsibility by informing the ride leader that you intend to ride at a faster or slower pace. You understand that this will separate you from the club ride;
- Club members must be conscious of their role as ambassadors to the non-cycling and recreational cycling communities. The NHCC logo, such as on apparel, is advertising for the club. Failure to abide by bicycling traffic laws may be observed by the public and can be detrimental to the club’s image and to the image of recreational cycling as a whole.
NHCC Membership is a privilege. Members demonstrating a manifest unwillingness to meet this Code of Conduct will be subject to complete or partial suspension of club privileges and/or revocation of their club membership in accordance with NHCC Bylaws. Have fun, help others have fun and thanks for riding with the Northumberland Hills Cycling Club!
Download a printable NHCC Code of Conduct here