The NHCCs Level 3 Intermediate rides are designed to be a little more challenging, with a little more distance and a few more hills than you’ll find in Levels 1 and 2. Most people can handle this level of ride at some point in the season. If you’ve set a goal for completing a century ride (100km) or a century imperial ride (160km) you’ll want to spend some time in this group, building mileage and improving your endurance.
- Terrain will be a mix of flat areas and hills, with distances between 40 and 100 km.
- Speeds will approach 20-25km per hour.
- There will likely be a few stops to grab a drink, re-group, and allow for brief breaks.
- Best for those who ride 2 or 3 times per week, for more than an hour each time.
- Riders will travel in a group with a group leader.
- All riders should have maps and know how to read it.
- The group typically stops to assist when someone has a flat.
- The pace should allow for comfortable, social conversation without being out of breath.
- Should be able to sustain a moderate degree of physical exertion for 2 or 3 hours, taking a few breaks.
- The group usually re-groups at the top of significant hills or before major changes in direction.
We usually ride in groups, but sometimes people may opt to finish the ride alone or with a friend or two due to fitness level or wanting to ride at a different pace.